(718) 994-1640
(718) 994-1640
Bronx Eviction & Probate Law Firm

Our mission is to provide our clients with the most professional and courteous service at reasonable rates. Contact Me Now to Get Your Free Consultation TODAY!

Call Us At – (718) 994-1640

Bronx Eviction & Probate Law Firm
Section 8

Our Bronx Real Estate Lawyers on Section 8

Section 8 is a voucher program that enables low-income residents to afford privately owned rental housing. If a landlord is having difficulties with a Section 8 tenant or contemplating altering the character of their property, it is important to review their rights and obligations with our Bronx real estate lawyers before taking any action.

How the Program Works

When an eligible tenant identifies a housing unit they wish to rent, they may ask if the owner will accept Section 8 residents. If the landlord agrees, they must first complete an application process with the local housing authority who is overseeing the program. Upon approval, the landlord receives a portion of the agreed upon rent directly from Section 8 funds and the balance from the tenant. The amount may change during the tenancy.

Determining the Rent

The housing authority determines the fair market rent and the tenant pays a portion of that based on their income. There are 2 kinds of section 8 in NYC, NYCHA and H.P.D.  They have different sets of rules.

Opting out of the Program

Under most circumstances if the building is less than six units, a landlord may choose not to renew their participation as a Section 8 provider by starting the process of Holdover.

Evicting a Section 8 Tenant

A landlord can evict a Section 8 tenant if they can substantiate any of the common grounds, such as nonpayment of rent, holding over a tenancy, illegal use or damage beyond normal wear and tear. The housing authority will not evict a tenant on behalf of the landlord, but it must be notified on the procedure.

One should not attempt to evict a NYCHA tenant in a nonpayment without first following the proper procedures! Also under certain circumstances NYCHA must also be notified before a Holdover case is brought.  At Rogers & Rogers, Esq. we have successfully brought many nonpayment and holdover cases against both NYCHA & HPD tenants.

Contact Our Bronx Real Estate Lawyers for Legal Advice

Making some or all of your rental property available for Section 8 renters can be beneficial or a nightmare. Be certain you understand the process. For any questions, call Rogers & Rogers, Esq., at (718) 994-1640.

Call Us Today

4419 White Plains Rd.
Bronx, NY 10470

Phone: (718) 994-1640

Fax: (718) 325-7439


Recent News

Section 8 Eviction Process: What to Do When Your Section 8 Tenant Owes Money in the Bronx

April 15, 2019 6:10 pm

First, we need to ask, what kind of Section 8 program does the tenant have? You can tell by looking at the vendor check. If it is New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) there are special steps that you must…

Read More >

What Is the Eviction Process in NY?

January 23, 2019 5:48 pm

In New York State, landlords must abide by specific rules when attempting to terminate a tenancy, otherwise they run the risk of opening themselves to liability. Tenants who are unlawfully evicted can file suit against the Landlord and be awarded…

Read More >

How Long Does an Eviction Take?

November 21, 2018 6:41 pm

When landlords have problem tenants, one of the first questions they have is: What is the eviction process? How long does an eviction take?  The answer in large part depends on what kind of case you will be filing. There…

Read More >