(718) 994-1640
(718) 994-1640
Bronx Eviction & Probate Law Firm

Our mission is to provide our clients with the most professional and courteous service at reasonable rates. Contact Me Now to Get Your Free Consultation TODAY!

Call Us At – (718) 994-1640

Bronx Eviction & Probate Law Firm

Section 8 Eviction Process: What to Do When Your Section 8 Tenant Owes Money in the Bronx

First, we need to ask, what kind of Section 8 program does the tenant have?

You can tell by looking at the vendor check.

If it is New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) there are special steps that you must take before you can bring the tenant to Court for rent.

This is because a 1980 case mandates that NYCHA get a copy of the demand notice.

And not just any demand notice either.

You Must Use the NYCHA Form

You must use the NYCHA form, and the most current form as there have been several changes over the years to these forms. The current form contains not just the tenant and landlord information but the exact amount demanded by month  from the tenant.  Also, Section 8 may change the tenant share many times during a tenancy so you must have good rent records in order to win.

You Must Send the Notice to the Tenant by Certified Mail

Also you must be aware that the notice must be sent to the tenant by certified mail return receipt requested. After that is mailed at the US Post office, then copies of the proof of mailing need to be made, Then after that, one copy of the proof of mailing, together with a copy of the notice sent to tenant and a separate form which is to go to NYCHA must again be mailed by certified mail.  And this is just the predicate notice part not the Court case.

NYCHA then has 30 days to decide if they agree with your math, or if they object to the Certification (demand notice).

Should they agree or 30 days passes then you are able to have your lawyer file the nonpayment case.

Evan Rogers Law PC Can Help with the Section 8 Eviction Process

Here at Evan Rogers Law PC (formerly Rogers & Rogers Esq) we prepare the predicate notice, take care of the mailing, prepare and file your Non-Payment case and appear in Court at all appearances on your behalf.  We also take care of the Warrant process right through the eviction.

Housing Court is a statutory Court. Many people attempt to go it alone and have lost time and money over the smallest mis-step.  We have had many people come in after winning a case but they can not get the Warrant to issue.  Doing things right the first time is the way to go in our opinion. We invite you to read our Google reviews and contact us for a case evaluation.

Consultation in our office is free. We just ask that you bring your lease, rent records and section 8 documents to your consultation.

The section 8 eviction process is not quick as any Landlord would like. It is, after all, NYC, but unless you start properly you will never finish.

It’s your money and your house.  Let us help you. You can email Evan Rogers Esq at Evan@EvanRogersLaw.com or call 718-994-1640. Stacy will take your information and make your appointment.